January 30, 2014

Everyone has to start somewhere

My dear reader, welcome!

I don't know if it is just me, but I remember year after year drifting through book stores and markets for office supplies and stores with really cute stuff, looking for a pocket calendar that would fit my needs. But I never really found one of a good size, that pleased my eye, and had a convenient partitioning. I might be crazy to think that functionality should be combined with cuteness, but hey, that's me ;)

So anyway, after my then roommate introduced me to the art of bookbinding, I thought to myself: If the big paper companies of the world won't fit my needs, I can do that myself! How hard could it be to make a planner anyway? As it turns out, for a person who never bound a book in their life, it's not as easy as I made it up in my head to be. But I like a good challenge, so I started to do it anyway. I decided on a format and designed the interior of my first calendar ever. Which took a long time and made me swear a lot, trust me, but unfortunately wasn't even the difficult part. Because then I printed the pages, folded them, had to cut them precisely, sew them together, glue them and I don't know what. And all of that without the proper tools, because why spend money on something you don't even know you can do, right?


Well, as you can imagine, the result was not exactly what I had pictured in my head, but for a first try I still think it turned out pretty good. It had it's rough edges and flaws, but I used it for a year and it didn't fall apart or anything. I was so proud :) But since I don't like to not get something done perfectly (yep, control freak, I admit), I wanted to get better. I was hooked; and out of a mere 'necessity' a great hobby was born. That was three years ago. I have made a lot more planners since that - for myself, for family and friends. As it turned out, I wasn't the only one who was bored with the off-the-shelf diaries after all...


So now I get to share my passion with family and friends, and thanks to the unlimited possibilities of the world wide web even with you.


Have fun browsing and enjoy life
Fräulein Grit

No comments:

Post a Comment